Posted by Colin Weatherby 180 words
A colleague working at a council with a new CEO sent me a list of the organisation’s woes as identified by that CEO with their summary of the situation. It started me thinking, ‘what would I do if I was the CEO?’
Here is the list:
- Strong autocratic and bureaucratic style on the part of the previous CEO.
- People fearful to make decisions and comfortable not making them.
- Strong avoidance of accountability.
- A very conventional approach – ‘we have always done it like this’.
- Low level of achievement – ‘if we don’t get it done today, there is always tomorrow’.
- A low level of self actualisation and self worth.
- Younger staff desperate for change.
- Older staff scared of change.
- A number of senior staff complacent in believing that all is perfect.
All of this led to a realisation that as a council with a demanding community and limited resources, the current culture would not support the future.
What would you do?
Please comment below or send your response to email@example.com